Foundation Stage Weekly Newsletter
Puffins and Penguins Weekly Newsletter 28th September
Dear Parents and Carers,
This week we have all been really impressed with how independent the children are becoming with their changing for PE, brushing their teeth after lunch and producing work for our challenge box to try and move up the learning ladder.
On Thursday we started our first whole school reading buddy session with older children in the school. Every other week they will come to our classroom to share books with us.
In maths, we have been continuing to learn about how to partition the number 5 as well as the number 7. We have been counting forwards and backwards to 20 from any number and recognising 0, 1, 2 and 5 when shown number flashcards. We have been talking about 2D shapes (square, triangle, circle, rectangle) and what makes them different and the same. Next week we will learn about the numbers 2, 3 and 4.
Next week, we will be learning the sounds e, f, h, l, sh. We will continue to learn how to say the sounds in a word and then blend sounds together. For example, “c-a-t…cat, b-a-d…bad”. We will use the magnetic boards to spell CVC words (consonant, vowel, consonant).
Here is the link for the Read, Write, Inc demonstration video (how to say the Set 1 sounds), as mentioned in our parent meeting on Wednesday.
Ideas for supporting your child’s learning at home (we would love to see this in the red books):
- Holding a pencil correctly and writing their name (first letter only if not ready).
- Looking for shapes that we know around you and naming them (at the shops, in the park, on the way to school)
- Finding different ways to partition the number 5 and the number 7.
- Counting forwards and backwards to 20 from any number.
- Practise writing the letters o c k u b – think of words that start with these sounds.
Please can we ask that all items of children’s clothing are named to avoid any mix-ups when changing for PE. Thank you!
Many thanks, Mrs Yeo, Mrs Bastin and Mrs Clague