Unit 4 - Years 5 & 6
Unit 4 Home Learning
We value Home Learning, and Lockdown in 2020 has made us all realise that learning can happen at home, at school, on the beach, or in the woods on a family walk. Thank you for all the support you give your child.
In case of further school closures due to the pandemic, we will continue to set work and support online. We have used Seesaw, however we now use Microsoft Teams to set and collect Home Learning tasks.
Spellings, and Maths are sent home regularly via Edshed. At the start of each half term, we will send you a newsletter explaining our learning and how you can support that at home.
In addition, here are some suggestions for home activities to supplement learning with your child.
- Daily reading of school books and any books at home.
- Create some book reviews about these books, which can be shared with others at school.
- Oxford Owl website have many free books online for children to read and listen to.
- Storyline Online also have a bank of stories.
- There are links to SATs reading comprehension past papers below. The website is easy to navigate and includes the answers. You may need to print some of the papers.
- Sumdog – explore and learn by playing games.
- TTRockstars – check for any competitions.
- MathShed – check for assignments and just play for fun.
- Watch YouTube times tables songs – Numberock ones are particularly good.
- Children in Year 6 have two maths SATs practise books which they can work on.
- These are links which will support all areas of their current learning. For example, Top Marks has lots of interactive games. The Visnos site links to the maths work we are doing now. We have shown the children this site today (18th March) :
- SpellingShed for your weekly spellings. You can also click ‘More list’ to access the statutory spellings for all year groups.
- Twinkl have also temporarily made free access possible for everybody, so children can go onto this site to access many educational activities, as well as activities linked to their group’s spellings (along side other areas of the curriculum.) This link will direct you to register a login. Please use the following promotional code: UKTWINKLHELPS
- Play board games which include money-such as monopoly.
- Traditional games such as snakes and ladders, noughts and crosses.
- Word based board games such as Boggle, Scrabble, Hangman.
- Children are encouraged to be creative whilst at home. They could share baking activities with parents, junk modelling, art from recycled products, collages.
- Write and illustrate story books for themselves, or for younger children.
- Twinkl have also made access possible for everybody, so children can go onto this site to access many educational activities, as well as activities linked to their group’s spellings.
- Children can practise their joined handwriting by copying paragraphs of text from their reading book.
- Year 6 can Google past SATs papers for maths, grammar & punctuation & spelling, as well as reading comprehension papers - https://www.satspapersguide.co.uk/ks2-year-6-sats/ks2-year-6-sats-papers/